Faculty & Staff
On, to What Matters Most
UConn was able to safely reopen with the participation of all its people: when our students, faculty, and staff join together, we made it happen. We are committed to providing the utmost support for our faculty as they continue to adjust their teaching methods, and to supporting the health and well-being of every person who works at the University to ensure we can keep moving forward, together.
A flexible approach to academics enables UConn to continue delivering the same outstanding education to all students while keeping safety at the forefront. It is unlikely we will offer all courses in the exact same way across all sections. Some courses will be best suited for asynchronous delivery, while others may be able to incorporate some synchronous and on-campus elements. Each modality can be utilized in ways that maintain course rigor. And we will do all we can to ensure we are meeting student demand while also allowing you to teach your courses in the way you feel most comfortable. As you continue to develop courses, use the resources available on the eCampus website.
The various modalities available are described below:
- Online (WW)
- These classes never meet in person, nor are you expected to be available at any particular time for classroom instruction. Students will have access to class materials online using HuskyCT.
- Distance Learning (DL)
- These classes never meet in person, but you are expected to be available at the times for which the class is scheduled. Students will participate online using WebEx, Blackboard Collaborate, or Microsoft Teams.
- Hybrid/Blended (HB)
- These classes have both in-person and online components. Classes will not meet in-person for all scheduled meetings, but some in-person instruction will occur.
- Split (SP)
- These classes will meet in person during all scheduled class times. However, students will alternate in person attendance as designated by the instructor.
- These classes will meet in person during all scheduled class times.
Above all, we encourage you to focus on the modality that best matches your comfort level, your delivery style, acknowledges social distancing constraints, and will best engage students in active learning.
- HR will provide additional guidance for managers and employees regarding continued telecommuting and flexible schedules during the spring semester.
- Rotating Schedules
- HR will work with managers to develop schedules for employees to minimize the number of employees in the workplace at one time.
- Managers will be directed to be particularly flexible with employees who are in high-risk categories, such as people over the age of 65 and those who have existing underlying health conditions.
- Meeting Options
- Faculty and staff should make video or teleconference options available for all meetings, including those that only involve employees working on-site.
- Employee Sharing
- HR will work with managers to facilitate the Employee Sharing Program, which will allow employees to work at full capacity. Details on this will be shared over the summer.
- All faculty, staff, visitor, and vendors must follow all safety protocols, including wearing a mask and maintaining physical distancing. All on-campus faculty and staff were provided with two washable masks. Contact your supervisor if you did not receive them.
- Employees who will be returning to campus must be tested before doing so; Human Resources has released guidelines for employee testing.
- Any employee who has received a confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis must follow UConn and state and federal public health protocols before returning to the workplace.
- Contact Notification
- During the semester, any employee who receives a confirmed diagnosis must notify their department head/manager and Human Resources immediately so that the University can ensure appropriate notifications, while keeping their information confidential.
- HR Support
- Human Resources will work with employees who receive a confirmed diagnosis on accommodations and leaves of absence with respect to any leave entitlements.